Changing one’s mind is definitely better than losing it, wouldn’t you agree? And it can certainly bring a happy result.
Here are the details (and my apologies for such shoddy photos). After my miserable attempt at a Linden toile, I decided to switch gears and sew a cute little lap blanket, the perfect fail-proof project. I washed and dried the fabric, and laid it on my table to round off the corners and stitch the edges. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed my sewing machine, silently waiting with the gray thread still in, and the stretch needle still poised. It must have been a sign. There was no reasonable choice other than to finish up the Linden before beginning something new.
Originally I’d cut the neckband from the pink fabric, but discovered after basting it on, I didn’t like it at all. However, there wasn’t even the tiniest possibility of enough gray to make the neckband instead. Or was there? I found two large-enough pieces left, but alas, the stretch was going the wrong direction. Dig, dig, dig. Eureka! One long, skinny piece appeared. It was just long and wide enough, had the proper stretch, and my shirt would have the proper neckline.
I took off the pink one, attached the gray one, trimmed and understitched it, and the neckline was completed in mere moments. (And rather nicely if I may so.) The sleeves were long enough just to hem, although on second look I really should have made them wider – these are a bit wavy. The top, though, was a little too short for a plain hem. So I attached the pink hem band, and voila! My Linden was transformed from the wadder I originally proclaimed it to a comfy, wearable top. It’s quite roomy, and the fabric is super soft. And now I’ll know how to alter my next one, so behold my first successful muslin of 2018.
Two thumbs up for making the right decision. Now I can stitch up my fun little blanket project, do a bit of mending, seek out the perfect fabric for my next Linden, and begin work on the muslin for my beautiful dotty Grainline Farrow dress.
Stitch on, everyone!